Friday, August 13, 2004

Vote Kerry-Visit Moveon.org

The battle for the future of the country continues as www.moveon.org goes on a rock and roll tour through swing states. I live in Texas, and will probably vote third party in protest of the electoral college system. However, my sympathies are with Kerry. Until proportional representation is implemented there really won’t be much point in voting third party, except for the high minded principle of voting for what you actually believe, or to send some kind of “statement.”

I don’t believe that the purpose of America’s foreign policy in Iraq was the destruction of a dictator, even though it did accomplish that. I don’t believe that the purpose was the threat of weapons of mass destruction. I believe the purpose was the seizure of an oil rich nation that has potential long term strategic benefit to the United States. I think the policy behind this world outlook is flawed. I believe that the people responsible for these decisions are considering the importance of oil to the U.S. economy, and the importance of having a base of operations in that region of the world.

I also believe that the long term effects of this policy will not be in the country’s interest. The problem now is how to disengage from Iraq. We have created a titanic problem, and I can’t see the world community at all interested in trying to maintain peace in the region. Of course, the world community should have been taken into account before this misguided policy was ever put in place, but we can only assess the situation from where we are now. Frankly, I don’t know what the solution will be, but I doubt seriously that America is more secure than it was before the Iraq war.

The future is unknowable, but I believe that a vote for Kerry can prevent such misguided policy in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home